Marketers, we all know direct mail is dying. Open rates are falling, conversion is falling, and eyeballs are moving away from our 10% off coupons to Bed, Bath, and Beyond.
This might discourage other professions. But we’re marketers. When a medium is dying, we don’t throw in the towel.
Here are ten hacks for getting 100% open rates on your direct mail in the digital age:
- Make sure you send enough direct mail so that your prospect’s neighbors fill the mailbox-adjacent trash can. Your prospect will have to carry your direct mail all the way to their apartment trash can to throw it away. That’s valuable brand impression time.
- Dip your direct mail in water and mail it on a cold day. In warmer climes, use Gorilla glue. You’ll have the stickiest direct mail in all the land.
- Mail your direct mail to your corporate address. You’ll turn your mailroom employees into evangelists for your brand, and your executives will be impressed by your thorough area coverage. Everyone knows internal branding is just as important as external branding.
- Make your direct mail approximately one inch wider in diameter than the mouth of standard trash cans. Your prospects will have a blast trying to throw it away.
- Coat your direct mail in a light dusting of an illegal substance. Then call the cops on your prospect. Your direct mail will be used in the court proceedings, so you can be sure to have multiple brand impressions on your prospect before they’re carted off to maximum security prison.
- Millennials love getting mail these days. Take a picture of your direct mail and send it to them via the Twitter.
- Send your direct mail by raven or owl. Between Game of Thrones fans and the ones raised by J.K. Rowling, you’ll own the millennial market.